Sunday, February 19, 2017

#1 Flannel for Days

This blog is dedicated to debunking stereotypes, so a good place to start is to establish the definition of a stereotypes. The sociological definition of a stereotype is a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group. Stereotypes constantly surround us and they affect everyone. There are stereotypes based on race, gender, culture, location, and sexual orientation. Stereotypes are sometimes true but a majority of them are completely false and based on misconceptions or prejudices against certain groups of people. I will be focused on the stereotypes that come form the LGBT community, a community that has been hated and persecuted around the world for many centuries

The stereotype I will be focusing on today, is the stereotypes that all lesbian or queer women wear only flannel shirts and jeans. I have had personal experience with this stereotype. Just this weekend I was out with some friends and we were shopping at the mall. We found an amazing closing sale, and my friend bought several flannel shirts. When we got back home she made a comment that stuck with me. She said, "Looking at my closet, you would think I was a lesbian." This comment was especially ironic because she is completely straight. This stereotype I believe was born out of the idea that lesbians are only butch women that look like men. So the flannel on lesbians stereotype was born. I break this stereotype directly because as a queer women I do not own a single piece of flannel clothing. Queer and straight women come in all different shapes, sizes, colors, and even clothing. So until next week, always remember #lovewins.

No comments:

Post a Comment